If you’re considering facial rejuvenation around the eyes, it’s likely you aren’t sure whether a brow lift or eyelid surgery at our Calgary practice would be more beneficial to you. You know you would like to appear more alert and rested, but how can you decide which surgery is the right approach?
If you have droopy lids, a sagging brow, or an overall tired, worn-out appearance even when wide awake, this blog post will provide some insight as to which surgical option is right for you.
Upper eyelid surgery can remove skin and reposition fat and muscle within the eyelids to lift and open the eyes. While lower eyelid surgery can also help rejuvenate the eyes (learn more in this blog post), upper eyelid surgery is designed to address droopiness and sagging in the upper lids that may make you appear tired even on your most awake days.
The procedure removes excess skin that droops over the natural eyelid fold to help you appear more youthful and rested. Incisions are hidden along natural creases of the eyelid so they are barely visible.
Brow lift surgery lifts a drooping forehead that may be creating an angry or weary look. It alters muscles above the eyes to smooth lines and raise the brows for a more open and energized expression. The approach:
- Traditional brow lift: This method involves a headphone-shaped incision behind the hairline that allows the surgeon to lift the forehead skin, adjust underlying muscles, and close with sutures or clips.
A Combined Approach
If the area above your eyes is especially droopy, combining eyelid surgery with a brow lift may be the best option for you. This will give your eyes a more open appearance and lift your brows for a more youthful look.
Your Treatment Plan
How can you tell which option is right for you? Here’s a helpful test:
- Try gently lifting your forehead skin up towards the scalp with your fingers. This simulates the effect of a brow lift.
- If you like the way this makes you look, you may be a candidate for a brow lift alone.
- If you like the way you look but think your eyelids are still too droopy, you may be a candidate for combined surgery.
- If your lids still look droopy and you don’t like the effect the test has on your forehead, you may want to consider eyelid surgery as a standalone procedure.
Of course, you don’t have to make this decision on your own. It’s always important to consult with one of our Royal College-certified plastic surgeons who are experienced in facial plastic surgery. He will be able to make personalized recommendations and guide you through the surgical options that will be most helpful to you.
To see actual examples of the eyelid surgery results produced by our surgeons, please visit our before-and-after photo gallery.
If you would like to learn more about brow lifts or eyelid surgery in Calgary, please contact us online or call (403) 452-7953 to request a consultation.