If people tell you that you look tired even when you’re wide awake, you may want to consider eyelid surgery. At our plastic surgery practice in Calgary, Royal College-certified plastic surgeons Dr. Humphreys and Dr. Byers perform this popular surgery, medically known as blepharoplasty, to help patients appear as young and alert as they feel.
Are you wondering if eyelid surgery can help you? We hope this blog post will provide you with some helpful guidance and information as you research your plastic surgery options.
What Eyelid Surgery Treats
Whether as a result of aging or heredity, puffy or hooded eyelids can give you a fatigued appearance. Eyelid surgery can restore a refreshed look for people of any age by correcting:
- Deep grooves or lines under the eyes
- Bags in the upper and/or lower eyelids
- Loose or sagging skin that interferes with natural contours and may impair vision
To be a candidate for this surgery, you should be a generally healthy nonsmoker with realistic expectations about the procedure. If you have a serious eye condition, it’s likely not an ideal option for you. See the American Society of Plastic Surgeons’ overview of the procedure for more details on candidacy.
How the Procedure Helps
Eyelid surgery is usually performed while the area is under a local anesthetic and you are sedated with medication. Several variations of the procedure exist, including:
- Upper eyelid surgery: Using inconspicuous incisions along natural creases and folds, your surgeon removes excess skin and fat and adjusts underlying tissues to create a more youthful and rested look.
- Lower eyelid surgery: An incision just below the lower lash line allows your surgeon to remove or reposition the fat that causes puffy bags. Hollows under the eyes may be filled in with fat taken from your body or a dermal filler.
- Double eyelid surgery: Also known as Asian eyelid surgery, this procedure reshapes the eyelid to make the lower part of the upper lid more visible. As with the other variations, this surgery is customized to fit each person’s unique aesthetic goals.
Is Eyelid Surgery the Solution for You?
Your tired appearance may be the result of a heavy or drooping brow. This is often better treated with a brow lift or BOTOX® Cosmetic, which is sometimes combined with eyelid surgery for a fuller transformation. Other facial procedures can also be combined with eyelid surgery if you want a more complete facial rejuvenation.
The best way to determine which procedure or combination of procedures may help you look your best is to come in for a personal consultation with one of our surgeons. During this appointment, your doctor can examine your face and create a treatment plan.
If you would like to learn more about eyelid surgery in Calgary, we invite you to start your process with a consultation. Please contact us online or call (403) 452-7953 to make your first appointment.